Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Green is good in any shade

‘Green’ is not synonymous with ‘elite.’ It’s not a club, it’s not exclusive, and there are no rules to being green. Every person who ever recycled a bottle or rode a bicycle is helping to some degree, and any shade of green is better than none at all.

The reason I say this is because recently, I have witnessed environmentally conscious people criticizing one another for the way they practice their beliefs. I heard a bicyclist talk down to a carpooler. I saw a vegetarian sneer at a meat-eater… in an organic restaurant. Even Al Gore is being criticized for using too much electricity, as if his impact as a public speaker does not do enough for the planet.

This phenomenon is especially confusing to me. I’m sure Snoop Dogg uses just as much energy as Al, and he’s not getting criticized for it. Even President Bush gets by without having his energy bill scrutinized. If Al is a bad person for heating his swimming pool, then I am a better person than my vegan friend, because she once killed a mosquito while we were camping. (Even though I was eating a hamburger.)

When it comes down to it, we are fighting a difficult battle, and we are going to have moments of frustration. Let us channel that frustration into warmth and encouragement, instead of separating into Yankees and Dodgers. With a little love, we can inspire a Hummer-driver to stop at the local farmer’s market. And that is a good first step.

(And while we’re at it, let’s make sure Snoop Dogg keeps his tires properly inflated.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al Gore is a hypocrite. He flies around in private jets promoting global warming because he really cares about the environment. Yeah right. He's lining his crooked pockets.

He wants us to spend money on imaginary carbon credits. Hah! I have some Monopoly money for trade if you want to pay me for it. I'll take the money you trade me and help the environment. Maybe I'll spend thousands of dollars adding solar panels to my house like Al Gore and then still use more electricity than before I added the panels.

As soon as I see people like Al Gore and other Greenies actually making real sacrifices in their lives I will pay attention to what they have to say.

Until then, all of you hypocrites can just keep on using electricity, polluting, and living in nice homes. Make sure you buy your carbon credits so you can sleep at night!!!

-Dan, NC

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.